In Pursuit Of is seeking a Regional Communications Manager to serve as the communications lead supporting and promoting grassroots political, lobbying, and advocacy efforts in each of several (five-to-six) assigned states. This individual is responsible for the implementation of all communications-related activities in assigned states. Candidates should have a strong grasp of media relations and project management to meet deadlines and ensure communications objectives are being achieved.
Your Responsibilities Include
- Consult with clients to understand their policy priorities and goals as well as the unique dynamics at work in each state.
- Work with clients to develop long-term communications strategies and tactics to achieve those goals.
- Work with clients and capability teams to proactively identify opportunities to highlight clients’ policies and principles.
- Work alongside capability teams to craft compelling, legally compliant communications materials.
- Collaborate with digital team to develop collateral to maximize earned media and grassroots impact.
- Travel to clients’ state chapters for background meetings with press, editorial board meetings, and special events requiring media coverage as needed.
- Identify media opportunities for clients in traditional and non-traditional venues.
- Work to build relationships with in-state bookers and establish clients as key influencers in the state who warrant coverage on client policy and political issues.
- Advise and collaborate with client and stakeholders on paid media opportunities, including TV or radio scripts, as needed.
- Create rapid-response materials and backgrounders; circulate key media hits and narratives that should be addressed in each state.
- Draft messaging and copy for public and grassroots-facing materials related to these issue campaigns, including but not limited to landing pages, email marketing content, press releases, opinion pieces, website, and website blog posts.
- Pitch media on stories and events.
- Coordinate with marketing, creative, digital, research, and writing teams to leverage resources and services for state-level efforts and campaigns.
Knowledge and Skills You Bring to the Organization
- 3-5 years of experience in media relations and strategic communications.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and an ability to distill complex policy into accessible and digestible language and products that get noticed.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and adapt to rapidly changing conditions. If you are overwhelmed by a fast-paced and demanding environment, this position will not be a good fit.
- Must be able to work productively with a broad range of colleagues and stakeholders across the country. Candidate must be willing and able to work collaboratively.
- On the record experience.
Standout Candidates May Also Bring
- Agency, congressional, executive branch (state or federal), or political campaign experience is a major plus.
In Pursuit Of is the full-service communications and marketing agency that drives ideas and shapes debates in pursuit of a society of mutual benefit. Our missions-driven partnerships advance policy and cultural change that enable people to improve their lives.
We believe that diversity in experiences, perspectives, knowledge and ideas fuels creativity, broadens knowledge, and helps drive success. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and strive to treat all employees with honesty, dignity and sensitivity. We welcome all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression or identity, age, disability, veteran status, marital status or any other legally protected class.